St. John Paul the Great Holy Name Society
Who we are:
St. John Paul the Great Holy Name Society (formerly St. Peter Holy Name Society) was organized by Charter on August 10, 1933, and has been in continuous existence since that date. The Society’s primary objective: The honor and glory of our Triune God and the personal sanctification of its members by acts of love and devotion to the Most Holy Name of Jesus. This men’s society encourages regular receipt of Communion, evening adoration, spiritual retreats and time for prayerful reflection.
All men of our parish are invited to attend Holy Name Society meetings held the last Monday of every month from September through November and from January through June at 7:00pm in St. Peter Hall. There are over 100 active members. We meet to conduct business, plan for future activities and socialize. The Holy Name Society also invites authoritative speakers to make presentation on religious and moral topics.
Notices of meetings and activities are published in the parish bulletin and under EVENTS on the parish website. Those interested in learning more about the Holy Name Society are encouraged to attend a monthly meeting. New members are always welcome. Contact Michael Yuchunas 860-480-2681 for more information.
Reverend Carlos Zapata is our Spiritual Advisor. Fr. Carlos attends meetings, prays with us and advises the group about upcoming events in the parish to attend and where members can provide assistance.
What we do:
We honor and promote the Holy Name of Jesus Christ.
Throughout the year, we help support many parish activities and community projects. Our main fundraiser is the famous Macaroni Supper held in April of each year for two nights. Over the years, our society has sold an average 745 suppers per year. Profits from the annual Macaroni Supper have enabled the Holy Name Society to make various donations to the parish. In 2022 we made donations to our parish for various repairs and paid Carlson Heating, Air & Hot Water Inc. for a repair to St. Peter Hall heating system. We donated to St. John Paul the Great Academy (Golf Tournament), Torrington Youth Services Bureau and MaryCare Inc. We also made donations to the Office of Radio & Television of the Archdiocese of Hartford, Two Hearts Pregnancy Care Center, Friendly Hands Food Bank, FISH NWCT, Community Kitchen of Torrington, and to the Knights of Columbus Charities - Ukraine Solidarity Fund.
During the year, we send get well and sympathy cards to Holy Name members and families. When we are allowed to, we visit the sick at home and in nursing homes and help the needy in any way we can. We also attend funerals of Holy Name members and arrange to have a Mass intention in their remembrance. In addition, we attend the Archdiocese of Hartford TV Mass when notified that one of our parish priests is celebrating Mass. We support parish youth programs, our Academy and encourage civic involvement among young adults.
The following activities were performed:
- In January, we attended Mass in Body. At this Mass, names of deceased members of the prior year were read aloud.
- In January and February, we helped promote our annual retreat at the Holy Family Retreat Center.
- In March, we distributed St. Joseph’s Bread after all Masses at St. Francis Church and St. Peter Church for St. Joseph’s Day.
- In April, we held our Macaroni Supper (Takeout only in 2022. We hope to have both sit-down and takeout meals in April 2023.)
- In June, we attended Mass in Body.
- In July, we were again a sponsor in the Annual SJPG Academy Golf Tournament.
- In October, we attended 8:30 Mass at St. Peter Church in a Body with a brunch afterward.
The following donations were made:
- March: $80 to Knights of Columbus Charities, Inc., Ukraine Solidarity Fund; $225 for St. Joseph Bread
- June: $200 to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital; $450 to Parish Religious Education Fund for Steubenville Teen Conference
- September: $250 to SJPG Academy (Golf Tournament); $200 to Torrington Youth Services Bureau
- October: $200 to MaryCare Inc.; $4,000 to St. John Paul the Great Parish (annual donation to the parish).
- November: $400 to Carlson Heating, Air & Hot Water, Inc. for repair to St. Peter Hall heating system; $200 to Community Kitchen of Torrington; $200 to Friendly Hands Food Bank; $200 to FISH NWCT; $300 to ORTV (Office of Radio & Television of the Archdiocese of Hartford); $200 to Two Hearts Pregnancy Care Center
- December: $100 to the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Waterbury
In the past 11 years the Holy Name Society has donated $44,000 to our parish.