St. John Paul the Great Holy Name Society
St. John Paul the Great Holy Name Society (formerly St. Peter Holy Name Society) was organized by Charter on August 10, 1933 and has been in continuous existence since that date. The Society’s primary objective: The honor and glory of our Triune God and the personal sanctification of its members by acts of love and devotion to the Most Holy Name of Jesus. This men’s society encourages regular receipt of Communion, evening adoration, spiritual retreats and time for prayerful reflection.
All men of our parish are invited to attend Holy Name Society meetings held the last Monday of every month from September through November and from January through June at 7:00 pm in St. Peter Hall. There are over 100 active members. Those interested in learning more about the Holy Name Society are encouraged to attend a monthly meeting. New members are always welcome.
Our meetings are now livestreamed on the parish Facebook page at www.facebook.com/JohnPaulGreatParish. Past meetings may be viewed at www.facebook.com/JohnPaulGreatParish/videos. Look for meetings using dates for the last Monday of the month.
Contact Michael Yuchunas 860-309-0448 for more information.
Throughout the year, we help support many parish activities and community projects. Our main fundraiser is the famous Macaroni Supper held in April of each year for two nights. Over the years, our society has sold an average 745 suppers per year. Profits from the annual Macaroni Supper have enabled the Holy Name Society to make various donations to the parish, including an annual donation for various repairs, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Oktoberfest, St. John Paul the Great Academy, and a memorial donation in memory of our past President, Peter Belli. We also make donations to the Office of Radio & Television of the Archdiocese of Hartford, Operation Overflow, Two Hearts Pregnancy Center, Friendly Hands, Community Kitchen and a donation to St. Francis Foundation in Hartford, CT in memory of past president, Dan Gerardi.
During the year, we send get well and sympathy cards to Holy Name members and families. When we are allowed to, we visit the sick at home and in nursing homes and help the needy in any way we can. We also attend funerals of Holy Name members and arrange to have a Mass intention in their remembrance. In addition, we attend the Archdiocese of Hartford TV Mass when notified that one of our parish priests is celebrating Mass. We support parish youth programs, our Academy and encourage civic involvement among young adults.
The following donations were made in 2021:
- April: $100 to ORTV (Office of Radio & Television) for TV Masses; $1,000 to SJPG (St. John Paul the Great) Parish.
- May: $100 to (Pastor) Father Emmanuel’s 15th Anniversary
- June: $250 to SJPG Academy (Golf Tournament)
- September: $100 to Emil Sorban (property manager) for his 20 years of service at our parish.
- October: $200 to ORTV for TV Masses; $200 to Two Hearts Pregnancy Center
- December: $200 to Community Soup Kitchen; $100 to Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe; $200 to FISH (Friends in Service to Humanity); $200 to Friendly Hands Food Bank; $100 to Kevin’s Place; $2,000 to SJPG Parish for the front steps of St. Peter Church; $400 for St. Joseph’s Bread for distribution March 2022; $100 to Francine Gryniuk (music director) for her 28 years of service at our parish.
The following activities were performed:
- In October 2021, we attended 8:30 Mass at St. Peter Church in a Body with a brunch afterward.
- In January 2022, we attended Mass in a Body. At this Mass, the names of deceased members from the prior year were read aloud.
- In January and February 2022, we helped promote our annual retreat at the Holy Family Retreat Center in Farmington.
- In March 2022, we were able to resume our practice of distributing St. Joseph’s Bread after all Masses at St. Francis Church and St. Peter Church on or near St. Joseph’s Day. Last year, due to the pandemic, we had to cancel.
- In April 2021, we had to cancel our Macaroni Supper. We reached out to our members and they came through in a big way with nearly $4,000 donated. We were able to meet most of our commitments and we gave the parish $1,000.
In April 2022, we plan to hold our Macaroni Supper in some type or form.
- In June, we normally attend Mass in a Body, but it was canceled in 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This will resume in June 2022.
- In July, we are a sponsor in the Annual SJPG Academy Golf Tournament.
In the past 10 years, the Holy Name Society has donated nearly $40,000 to our parish.
We honor and promote the Holy Name of Jesus Christ.
We meet to conduct business and plan for future activities and socialize on the last Monday of the month from September through June at 7:00 pm in St. Peter Hall with approximately twenty members in attendance.
Michael Yuchunas, President
St. John Paul the Great Parish Holy Name Society
Ken Galitello, Jr., Secretary
St. John Paul the Great Parish Holy Name Society